Mar 22, 2012

Studded Collars


I made my first DIY studded collar! If you guys would like to learn how to make one too, then keep scrolling down and I'll teach you how! 


These are studs I picked off of a very old studded belt that I was obsessed with wearing back in middle school. I had a hard time finding them in any arts and craft store, so I just decided to go this route instead. 

Since I don't know what size they are, I decided to take a photo of it next to my lens cap for comparison. They are pretty small compared to the ones I have seen elsewhere. 

My mom was so nice, she gave me one of her old Ann Taylor Button ups and it had a pretty sturdy collar so I cut it off with a pair of scissors. I just cutted it off using the original sewn line of the shirt as a guide. Yay for no measurements! 

After cutting it, place the studs where you would like. I didn't have enough to stud the entire collar so I decided to just stud the tips. I'm going to save the rest to stud my denim jacket or a black collar. 

And there you have it! A studded collar. It was so easy, but bending the studs into place can get a bit tricky, so be careful not to poke yourselves with the sharp edges. I used my nail to bend it back, but I've heard a lot of people used butter knives to do it. I think it's just your preference and how hard your studs are. Mines were pretty old, so I guess they bent easily. 

Hope you guys liked this simple DIY project! 

Love,
Lisa


20 comments:

  1. Very cute! I can't wait to start studding some of my stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh I love it! Now we have matching collars aha ;) I really want to try wearing like a removable collar piece but I don't know if i'm "bold" enough aha!

    whatrebeccasaid.blogspot.com xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Lol that's exactly what I thought when I saw yours :) You should definitely try a removable piece! I'm sure you'll look great in it!

      Delete
  3. Omgsh I am in love with studs at the moment too hehe! I was meaning to do this a while back but forgot about it..definitely need to try it soon. Thanks for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. loooove thisss!!! a studded collar is already on my diy to-do list!! love that colour of that shirt collar too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting! I've never seen these before!!!

    Just a reminder of my GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG! i NEED YOUR HELP <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, so cute!!

    And wow, I love how this cost you zero dollars!!! And that fabric on the collar and the color is so pretty! Your mom is a sweetheart for giving it to you!

    Did you keep the top? Maybe you can sew a different color collar on it? Like white or black? to give it a little contrast and still keep the blouse :)

    I really want to do this! But I will have to hunt for studs (Jenna gave me a link!!) and I think I need to buy fabric cos I do not have any cute old tops :(
    Can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I thought it would be awesome to share, because I used old scraps to make it! Josie, you should definitely go to a thrift store or flea market and grab a really cheap men's button down shirt, they're usually only a dollar or two! I did keep the top, and that's a really great idea! I was wondering what I could do with it lol.

      Delete
  7. gosh, the DIY collar looks expensive! I am surprised how your creativity make this cute accessory looks so fabulous! <3

    xx, Helena
    http://helena-nt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The secret is that it LOOKS expensive, but doesn't cost much at all! I'm glad you like it! :)

      Delete
  8. i love how the studs gave the collar personality. great DIY!

    www.allymcbee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is FANTASTIC! I really have to find some studs and try this!
    Enter for a chance to win a Threadsence Gift Certificate!
    www.sugarfilledcloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow pretty! I think I love it even more because the collar is pink.. and the studs just give it that extra oomph <3

    Love from the NaNa girls xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm totally oing this asap! Love it! you did an amazing job =)

    xx Missy
    www.myconcretecatwalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great DIY! I've tried a few collars myself and they don't usually turn out as great as this one. You've got a new follower! Hope you'll come check out my blog as well:

    http://sergeantfox.blogspot.com/

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks awesome! I studded a few things over the weekend too! I didn't get around to doing a collar yet. I like the size of your studs for the collar, it matches perfectly. I think my studs might be a little too big for a collar. I studded a black oversized cardi, some shorts, and a black stretchy headband. Can't wait to see this on you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This came out so great lisa! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yours turned out great! pretty pink too!

    bijou-minou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great job on the collar!! Yayee!

    Have a great day, hun!!! Swing by my blog, if you have a chance. :)
    xx Love & Aloha

    ReplyDelete